Who says breakfast has to bland? This açai superfood bowl is a fresh and flavourful way to start off your morning (or even throughout the day)! Not to mention it’s loaded with an abundance of healthy ingredients – from fresh fruit to hearty nuts and seeds. This vegan, gluten-free recipe is certainly one to try!
Ingredients (Makes 2 Servings)
- Freshly squeezed orange juice 1 cup (250ml)
- Frozen blueberries (see Tips) 1/2 cup (125ml)
- Chia Seeds 1/4 cup (60ml)
- Freeze-dried açai powder 2 tbsp (30ml)
- Alcohol-free organic vanilla extract 1/4 tsp (1ml)
- Chopped mango 1/2 cup (125ml)
- Apple (chopped), raspberries, hulled strawberries 1/4 cup each (60ml)
- Raw shelled hemp seeds 2 tbsp (30ml)
- Raw cashews 2 tbsp (30 ml)
- Serving bowl
- In a blender, at high speed, blend juice, berries, chia, açai powder and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Top with remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.
- Using frozen berries helps make the mixture thick and rich.
- You can substitute an equal quantity of frozen strawberries or raspberries for the blueberries.
- Açai powder is available in well-sticked supermarkets, natural food stores, and online speciality stores.
Cooking since his teens, Douglas McNish is a Certified Red Seal Professional Vegan Chef. After losing 100 plus pounds, he decided to change his career and take on a plant based cuisine as his profession.
Douglas is a two-time vegan iron chef winner, has been featured on national television, contributes to print magazine publications, and is a raw food consultant who is passionate about sharing his knowledge about the raw food lifestyle.