Israel Blume is the President of Coincident Speaker Technology, a company he began because he was dissatisfied with speakers that were currently available. Israel applies that same attention to his training, diet and overall fitness level. Suffice it to say he is at the top of the speaker world and in top shape 🙂 You can get more details via his website.
- When did your athletic career begin?I played hockey, football and baseball from the age of four and eventually played university hockey and junior football. I started body building in 1972 at the age of 18. This was unheard of in that time. The only people who trained regularly with weights were competitors but not the average joe. I was looked upon as an oddity. The body I developed was not normally seen except on TV or in body building competitions. My dedication to weight training continued from that day until the present.
- What adversity have you had to overcome as athlete?Broken leg, torn tendons in the ankle. Nothing that happened as an athlete. The broken leg happened the first time I went skiing. The torn tendons while I was bike riding.
- How has working out impacted your life?It is fundamental to who I am. I have continued it without a hiatus for 44 years. My strength, health and energy level feel the same as it did 40 years ago. I am pain free on no medications of any kind and I attribute all of this to regular workouts and clean, healthy eating.
- How often do you train and for how long?Seven days per week, about an hour daily at the gym. I also do five sets of push ups every day, 500 in total.
- What is your #1 fitness tip?Concentrate on weight resistance. This is responsible for maintaining bone density, toned muscles and keeping your metabolism boosted all day. Done properly, will improve your cardio vascular health more effectively than cardio (running, jogging etc, which if done often enough will damage your lower back and joints).
Lorne’s Take – I’ve known Israel for about 15 years. We first met at Extreme Fitness and now both train at LA Fitness. If you are into working out and live in Thornhill there is a good chance you know Israel. He has always been a great inspiration for me at the gym. One of my favourite lines “When I grow up I want to look just like him :)”