If you are following a ketogenic diet (high in healthy fats, moderate protein, and lower carb), it is imperative that you consume vegetables – lots of them!!! The key is choosing the right ones that enable you to get the nutrients you need to stay healthy while still allowing your body to use fat as its primary fuel. Leafy greens and sulfur-rich vegetables are an important part of a ketogenic diet.
Here’s my delicious soup recipe made with some garlic, onion, zucchini, spinach, healthy fats (like organic ghee and extra virgin olive oil), and leftover roasted chicken. Ready in under 30 minutes!!
💪 Spinach: anti-inflammatory, immune-boosting, rich in Vit C, high in magnesium, and aids in detoxification
💪 Onion and garlic: anti-inflammatory, sulfur-rich, cancer-fighting, combats heart disease, and antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal properties help treat cold and flu symptoms
➡️3 tbsp of organic ghee
➡️1/4 organic onion, diced
➡️1/4 medium organic zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices and then quartered
➡️1 garlic glove, smashed
➡️2 loose handfuls of roasted chicken, cubed and finely shredded in mixer
➡️2 cups of homemade chicken bone broth
➡️4 cups of water
➡️2 large handfuls of organic spinach, coarsely chopped and thrown into mixer to achieve the consistency of finely chopped parsley
➡️3/4 tsp of REAL Sea Salt
➡️1/8 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
➡️3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (to drizzle on soup before serving)
➡️parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
KETO BREAD Can be purchased at Nature’s Emporium or Ambrosia too)
➡️Keto bread, 3 servings, sliced into halves
➡️3 tbsp of grass fed butter, (1 tbsp per serving, spread evenly on keto bread)
1. In a large pot, melt ghee over medium heat. 2. Add onion and zucchini and cook until soft.
3. Add garlic and stir for another minute or so, stirring often. Be careful not to burn garlic. Remove when cooked.
4. Add chicken and mix. Cook for about 2 minutes.
5. Add bone broth and water. Bring soup to a boil, then stir in spinach. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer uncovered over medium-low heat. Cook for another 20 minutes or until soup has a nice consistency.
7. When soup is almost done, add parsley and stir.
While soup simmers, heat oven to 275°. Place 3 servings of keto bread onto a baking sheet lined with unbleached, chlorine-free parchment baking paper. Each serving is 1/6 of baguette. Cut each serving into halves, top with grass-fed butter and place in oven until bread is warm and butter has melted.
Pour soup in a bowl. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Add some grated parmesan if desired. Enjoy!! Serves 3.