If there is someone who knows the ins and outs of fitness, it’s Alan Thrall. Alan is the owner of Untamed Strength as well as a Marine Corps veteran who served as a presidential security guard as well as a “World Famous” Body Bearer at Arlington National Cemetery.
Alan’s love for fitness started at a very young age and he began to learn and research the world of strength and lifting. During his stint in the Marine Corps, Alan signed up for his first amateur Strongman competition and since then, he has never looked back. He has completed in a plethora of Strongman competitions, Powerlifting and Olympic Weightlifting Meets. He continues to use his knowledge to help those who want to pursue Powerlifting or even those who just want to nail their technique!
In this video, Alan, using his expert knowledge, shares some tips on how to perfect your bench press. Here are some do’s and don’ts:
- DO make sure your back is arched
- DO tuck your elbows in 45 degrees and keep them flat
- DO keep your eyes on the bar throughout the movement to ensure you are always benching/hitting the same spot on your chest and towards the ceiling
- DO keep your knuckles up throughout the entire lift. Not doing so could injure your wrists!
- DON’T let your upper back, glutes, or feet come off contact with the bench/floor
- DON’T flare your elbows out 90 degrees. Keep them tucked!
- DON’T push up when de racking. Pull the bar with your lats.
- DON’T bring the bar towards your throat or collarbone. Bring it towards your mid chest.